Fw: interesting rich lean SU needle theroy? statement?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: interesting rich lean SU needle theroy? statement?
From: "Paul Tegler " <wizardz@amdyne.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 21:25:38 -0500

.....it is advisable when changing from one needle to another to choose one
with the same idling dimensions. If this is not possible then bear in mind
that if the new needle has weaker or larger idling dimensions ( say .089
.0855) the rest of the needle will give slightly richer results than
suggested by the dimensions. If the idling dimensions are richer or
smaller(say.089 .0845) the needle will give slightly weaker results than one
would suspect. This is due to the alteration in the jet position required by
the new idling dimensions.

If this is true (and to me...  it now makes absolutely perfect sense)
the present belief of going to ABD or AAA needles with K&N filters is wrong!
We should be looking at needles with larger numbered idle settings.(weaker)
This would make us lower the jet position to get it to idle correctly, which
would richen the middle and upper settings..ELIMINATING THE NEED TO PULL THE
CHOKE OUT TO GET IT TO RUN SMOOTHLY WHILE CRUISING!

Am I obsessing on trying to get even my BRAND NEW carbs to run right with
open box K&N filters? does the original statement make sense to anyone else
but me?

Paul Tegler
OB - 1973 MGBGT (Blaze Red, (orange))
YB - 1973 MGBGT (Primrose Yellow)
Millersville, MD (South of Baltimore, North of Annapolis)
wizardz@amdyne.net
http://www.amdyne.net/~ptegler/mgmain.htm