Odd carburation thoughts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Odd carburation thoughts
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 00:36:03 -0700
I recently bought a '69 Porsche 911T targa.  This car has a 2.0 litre
six with a compression ratio of 8.6:1, and 110 hp (S versions have 160
hp and 10:1 compression).  Now, this is a little more than an MGB, and a
little larger engine (but lower compression).  The interesting thing is
that even the 110 hp car has 2 triple (40 mm) throat webers - i.e. 6
carbs.  When I compare to the MG's 2 carbs of 1 1/2" (about 40mm) I have
to think the Porsche is at least a little overcarburated. I wonder how
much more effective three SU's with a special intake manifold would be
than the webers - of course I know it would take a lot of needle
selection etc, but the idea is interesting.  I don't really plan to do
it, just dreaming.

Any thoughts??

Phil Bates
four British cars
one German car in british car clothing
one German car
one  Japanese car
two French cars
planning to cut down to a total of seven cars from only three countries