MG Overheating

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MG Overheating
From: Mquinn698@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 10:12:31 EST
I have a 74 MGB, The car runs very well. However, when driving this time of
year the temp gauge never goes above N but when the outside temp reaches 70 or
above the temp gauge is always almost at H. I have put a thermometer in the
radiator and I have never seen it get above 190 degrees but I am still
concerned that if I get stuck in Washington, DC traffic I will damage my
engine. It appears that the water in the radiator is circulating properly and
I find no cold spots on the radiator. I even added an electric cooling fan and
still have the original fan as well. I don't see any loss in water level but I
do get a bit of water out of the exhaust when the car is stated after sitting
for a week or two. Should I be concerned, could it be a bad head gasket or
does anyone have any suggestions? I owned a 71 MGB about 20 years ago that I
blew the engine in that I think may have been from a bad head gasket letting
water get into the cylinders (maybe that was something else also). Help!!
--Mike Quinn