Re: Pumping loss (long and windy)

To: barneymg@ntsource.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pumping loss (long and windy)
From: H4aardvrk@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 19:03:53 EST
barneymg@ntsource.com writes:

<<  I for one happen to get off on the neat noises my MG makes,
 and couldn't bear to neuter it with OD.

barney,

The speed limit on Most open highways(interstate roadways) is above 65mph.
Our MG-B cars are using a rearend gear ratio of 3.91 to 1. At my interstate
speed limit of 75 MPH, my non o?d MG-B's are turning about 3750 rpm...The wind
passing over,around and through my non o?d MG-B's is travelling 75 MPH. Engine
noise is the least little ,pleasing noises that i hear..Wind noise is the most
prevelant sound occurring to my ears while i travel at the legal speedlimit in
Colorado;75mph.
     While i am driving my 1974 MG-B roadster, which is the MG-B that i own
with an o/d tranny,at that same 75 mph, the wind noise is the same as my non
o/d equipped MG-B's.  However, as i look at my tachometer, i notice that my
engine is not turning the same 3750rpm that my non o/d equipped MG-B is
turning. In fact, it is turning about3075 rpm.
Hmmmm..I know that my 1800 cc engine is in an rpm range that will deliver
torque and horsepower sufficient to overcome a lugging situation on level
ground or even on moderate up hill runs.So,that leaves me with a fairly
obivious condition ,of some importance,to me, and other MG-B owners as well.It
leaves me with an engine turning less rpm per mile  in a non engine lugging
senerio..It leaves me with an engine which will produce more miles per gallon
AND an engine which is going to last longer,due to less mechanical events per
mile than an MG-B with a non o/d tranny..WIND noise,NOT engine noise ,is the
main sound emmiting force at work here......Were we in a lower gear ratio,2nd
or 1st, then the engine would be the major noise contributing factor.O/D is
not engaged in either of these ratios.
    I include my self in the number of MG-B owner-drivers welcome a chance to
encourage my engine to preform less mechanical events per mile while allowing
the engine to produce a few more miles per gallon.
     My above reasoning is to be biased towards the owner-driver of a daily
driver MG-B who uses it for basic daily transportation.My MG-B's ,4 of them,
each travel over 15,000 miles per year..all year round..If I had an MG-B that
was not my daily transportation, or if i owned a racing MG-B, then none of the
above writing would mean very much.
     Yours, H4(Howard)