Commuting via MGB - Day 1

To: "MGs digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Commuting via MGB - Day 1
From: "n" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 13:25:42 -0500
Bud,

I too am driven nuts by those SUT's (They ARE Trucks remember.) lights.  My
solution has been multi-stage.  First came the Cibie Z-Beams.  With 80 watt
hi-beams on I can tell the color of the trucker's eyes even if they refuse
to lower their high beams and turn off their fog lights.  Notice that Ford
trucks are the worst?

For those yahoos with brights, too bright low beams or fog lights behind me,
I started with a Lucas rear fog light.  Flashing it sometimes wakes them up
to the fact that they have high beams on.  Sometimes.  If that doesn't work,
it gets left on.  It's set a slight angle upward, so the closer they get the
more annoying it is.

The latest stage is a driving light under the rear bumper that I use as a
backup light (None from the factory on '66's).  It too is angled up so that
it gets brighter as you get closer to my bumper.  That has really worked
well.  A former boss told me about the aircraft landing lights he & his
friends used to use in that way.

And, if all else fails, pull over & let the overly lit dim-bulbs pass you.

BTW, as a daily driver of MGB's from 1965 to 1968, and from 1993 till now,
three other suggestions:
    1- keep your headlights on at all times while driving
    2- assume no one else on the road sees you
    3- keep a small set of tools and jumper cables in the boot.

Safety Fast!

Norm Sippel