smoking away

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: smoking away
From: "michael poe" <mgbgt74@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 19:37:33 -0600
Well, I was out for a nice drive after changing the front wheel bearings
last week and decided I would take a trip on the interstate.  Everything was
going fine till I hit a hill doing 70mph and white smoke just went
everywhere(including inside the car) so I pulled over and found a nice river
of antifreeze running down the side of the block.  It was coming from the
head and block mating area, so I have the new headgasket.  I did a little
research and the problem only occurs over 65mph going uphill, so I am
wondering if the head or block surface area may be warped slightly and
separating when that amount of stress is put on the engine.  Anyways, I will
check that when I take it apart to change out the headgasket.  If that
doesn't work, then I will just order an aluminum head from Moss and have the
bottom end rebuilt.  Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks
Michael Poe
1974 1/2 MGB GT