Lesson One - DON'T PANIC!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Lesson One - DON'T PANIC!
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 15:03:41 +0000
I have just picked up my 'B from her regular service (always looks good
on the service record for the next sale) and after all my 'drama queen'
panic over an impending engine-rebuild-that-I-didn't-want-to-do it seems
that my panic may have been just that.

Someone please tell me that the first twelve months of MG ownership is
the hardest.  I have panicked over tyres, suspension, cracks of doom,
brakes, head-gaskets, electrics (and the alternator) and even the damn
light switches... surely there comes a time when I can just lie back and
accept these bloody quirks and get on with enjoying the marque (which is
not to say that I haven't driven the beast long and hard and loved -
almost - every minute of it).

I thought about my recent panic over the head gasket when I realised
that even though I thought she was dying on me, hell, I still drove her
1500 miles - she can't have been *that* sick!  A modern car would have
just layed down by the side of the road and demanded hospitalisation and
a holiday because it was just all too hard.

By the way... the latest compression test showed...

1=150 2=150 3=100 4=150

Engine rebuild... ha!  But I will need to have a bit of a think about
#3.

Eric
'68MGB MkII (twelve months in - 30 years to go)

PS Lots of cars on TV at the moment in the lead up to the Melbourne F1
(when are they going to race the MGF???)