Compression test- - -opinions needed (long)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Compression test- - -opinions needed (long)
From: "Matt Milkevitch" <milkm@mail.vt.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 02:42:01 +0000
Fellow Listers,

            Approximately 1 year ago, I completed a full rebuild on
of the engine in my '74 BGT.  I completely redid everything, to
include 8.7:1 pistons, mild camshaft (Piper BP 270), unleaded
conversion, and so forth.  In addition, I also redid my SU HIF4
carbs, replacing a Weber I had previously used.  Also, I am running a
cannon header, Lucas 45D4 (Eurospec), and Peco exhaust.

            My problem since completion has been lack of power.
Given my modifications, I was looking for an engine that would pull
well, but it remains something of a dog.  Granted, what I'm saying is
very subjective...and I was reminded by a friend that these cars
weren't all that fast to begin with.  Sensing some type of internal
engine problem, I took it to a local MG shop and had them check it.
They performed a leak down test, and said that I was losing
compression badly, and that they could hear the air leaking through
the oil dipstick hole.  This indicated to them that the rings weren't
holding up.  In addition, a compression test indicated that all
figures were hovering around the 130 psi mark.

             Since that time, I've done a few adjustments (mixture,
timing etc) and have seen some small improvements.  I also performed
another compression test giving the following figures:

              Cyl 1  = 140
              Cyl 2  = 135
              Cyl 3  = 145
              Cyl 4  = 141

              Precision here is relatively good, and the difference
in these figures and earlier ones probably can be attributed to
difference in compression testers.  One more note:  oil consumption
is about nil, and oil pressure is very good (45 at idle, around 70-75
at 60 mph).

              My question to the group:  opinions on these
figures/data??  Does anyone have a "ballpark" idea on the ideal
compression of an MGB 18V engine with 8.7:1 pistons??  Right now, I'm
contemplating a teardown and putting new rings on, and would like to
get the collective wisdom of the group.

              Thanks for any advice,

               Matt Milkevitch
               '74 BGT