gas struts- BGT

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: gas struts- BGT
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 18:22:55 -0500
David-

I replaced the springs with gas struts on my 1974 BGT about 2 years ago,
combined with an electric hatch release. The original springs do not
lift the hatch, so the electric release was ineffective. The gas struts
were positioned so that the hatch raised when the lock was released.
This may sound like a stupid project, but I had a practical reason for
doing it & entirely too much spare time on my hands ?).

The gas struts are gradually loosing their power, as other replies have
suggested, they still support the hatch, but no longer raise it
unassisted. I would suggest, that if you have no other reason to go to
gas struts, that you purchase shinny new covers for your springs &
retain them.

If you want to try the gas struts, I used Motormite brand, #95076.
These  are cheapies purchased from the local discount auto grocery store
that also sells overhauls in a can, air fresheners, etc. I used the
original attachments on the hatch & drilled holes on the rear fender
hump. These holes are below the molded carpet section, & the end of the
strut is covered by the loose carpet that meets & overlaps the rear of
the wheel arch. Some expermentation is required to find the correct
location.

If anyone can give me a quality equal to the Motormite brand, I would
like to upgrade.

Jim Stuart
2 V-8's, no dollars or sense