Moss Quality and Quality in general

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Moss Quality and Quality in general
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:35:13 -0500
Please be aware this post is long, and if MG content is not what you are
interesting in, then please hit the DELETE key now.

Paul Washburn writes:
>I am a bit perplexed by all this talk of low quality from Moss. I
>guess I would have to ask how much experience you all have with other
>vendors (and restoration of other brands). As well as how accustomed
>to modern car quality we all have become. Because quite frankly Moss
>is probably better than average for this type of business. The parts
>are of the same quality (as other brands/businesses) and the
>courtesy/operation of the business is far superior.

My reply: We are not referring to modern car quality.  I think the
original thread was started by Bill stating his bumpers from Moss were
rusting, while the original bumpers on another car were not rusting.
There is no comparison to "modern car quality," nor was there any
implication of that.  Bill, clarify if you must.  However, Paul, I do
agree with you in your statement that Moss offers great service.  This
is why I come back to them time after time.  Now the quality is another
story.  I'll elaborate later.

Chris Attias writes:
>Lawrie has some good insight into the thinking at Moss re: offering
>differing quality levels on things like bumpers.  I'm afraid at this point
>that if Moss were to offer an accurate, high quality bumper repro set for
>twice the discount price, buyers would have a hard time stifling their
>cynicism about whether it really was a quality product.

This is certainly a good approach to the problem.  However, can Moss
even stay in business.  How many people are willing to spend $350 on a
front bumper of superb quality for a car that is worth less than $5000?
I would hope many, but realistically, I doubt many would even consider
it.  I feel Moss should offer only one grade of product.  If they choose
high quality, then perhaps some will be forced to relinquish their love
affair with the MGB in search of a cheaper sports car.  IF they choose
low quality, then people like myself will be pissed at the poor
quality.  Catch 22.

Ed mentions that we should purchase from Lawrie, Skip and himself, since
they see the products they sell.  Ed, do you stock a high quality bumper
set, and if so, where was it produced, and how much are you asking for
each piece?

Kelvin Dodd has posted a few times to give us the facts.  Thanks
Kelvin.  Despite my disappointment with some of your products, at least
you are kind enough to acknowledge our complaints.  I understand your
points very well.  If you source high quality parts, you lose sales,
because of increased prices.  I guess you are basically pointing the
finger at myself and others like me.  Moss sources the products WE buy,
not what is the best quality.

Dan Pockrus writes:
>What we're seeing with MG parts today is the same thing I saw with
>air-cooled VW parts 15 years ago, when all the German OEM's moved on to the
>water-cooled models and left the air-cooled stuff to the Brazilian and
>Mexican vendors. The quality varies greatly - and, thanks to horrific
>economies in both countries, so does the price.

Yes, yes, yes.  This is certainly a trend in VWs that is showing up in
the MG parts industry.  I don't think the situation has become quite as
bad as it has with VW parts, but I do see similarities.  I see the ads
in the VW magazines, where camshafts cost $20, and pistons and cylinders
cost $100, and I wonder how they can possibly be making any money.  You
get what you pay for.

I think Bill hits it on the head when he said:
>The other thing that factors in, Kelvin, is the desire or lack of it on the
>customer's part for quality products.
>Not much point in offering a really superior product if all you get for it is
>the respect of the customers that you'd do such a thing, while they send their
>dollars to your competitors for the cheap alternative.

Why did I buy a Porsche?  One of the reasons for my change was the poor
parts quality.  By damn, I paid $980 in parts for my Porsche last
December and everything came in a box approximately 1 cubic foot in
volume.  Everything in that box was great quality and NOTHING had the
Lucas label, thank goodness.  I guess you DO get what you pay for.

Rick Ewald mentions something that reminds me of one of my Porsche
catalogs.  Label each part with a designation showing OE quality or
AFtermarket quality.  Then, we can make our purchases with this taken
into consideration.

Chris said:
>IMHO, the reason for a lack of quality is the the constant quest to maximize
>profits at the cost of quality. In other words, some suppliers purchase cheap
>aisan parts and charge exorbinant prices.

Have to disagree somewhat.  I realize that this is true for a good
percentage of vendors out there, but I would not label any of our
British parts suppliers with this practice.  Quality costs.  Are you
willing to spend the $600 for a superb set of seat upholstery for the
car you drive on the weekends only?  Moss and others study their
clientele and cater to their desires.

Enough. Please feel free to flame me.  I just finished a horrible week
here at school, where everything, including the kitchen sink, was thrown
at me.  I survived, so flame away.  I can take anything. :)

Take care all
Jay

--
When you were born you cried