[Fwd: Question about Oil Temperatures]

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fwd: Question about Oil Temperatures]
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 18:23:55 -0500
--------------9A4A4E2E725EEFC56F8A4298

Received the following response to my question about safe oil temp
range.

It seems to be a very difficult question to answer.

Jim Stuart

--------------9A4A4E2E725EEFC56F8A4298

From: Dick Clark <clarkd@api.org>
To: "'jimbb88@erols.com'" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Cc: Mark Booth <boothm@api.org>
Subject: Question about Oil Temperatures
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:12:52 -0500

The short answer to your question is that there is no "safe temperature
range"
published for engine oils.  There are some temperature related properties
but they do not relate directly to engine operating temperature.

Part of the viscosity grade for an engine oil shows to its ability to flow
at 100 C.
These values are defined by SAE Viscosity Grades.

I would suggest that you contact the engine builders to determine the
temperature range and viscosity they want to see for their engines.

There are several things that can happen with high the engine oil
tempertures.
One: the useful life of an oil is reduced.
Two:  The oil viscosity, or ability to flow,  may be too low to properly
lubricate parts of the engine.

Each engine builder specifies the viscosity of lubricant they want for their
engine.  They also may have suggestions for changes in recommended viscosity
based on operating conditions.

I hope this has been helpful to you.  If you have further questions please
let me know.

Dick
R. C. (Dick) Clark (clarkd@api.org)
Products Associate