Re: Oil Coolers - tech info on oil, esp breakdown; mineral vs synthetic

To: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>, <WSpohn4@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Oil Coolers - tech info on oil, esp breakdown; mineral vs synthetic
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:44:05 +1100
Well over the weekend I spoke to a scientist for a major oil
company.

She tells me that mineral oils start to break down at 88C (190F)
whereas synthetic oils begin to breakdown at 200C (392F).

Byproducts of mineral oil breakdown include acids and carbon soot.
The carbon soot tends to fall out of suspension causing deposits
throughout the engine.

Byproducts of breakdown in synthetics remain in solution (hence no
deposits).

So, I think this clearly sens two messages

a) if you use mineral oils, an oil cooler is a pretty damn good idea
if your oil temps are likely to approach 88C. I'd hazard a guess that
in a number of 'hot spots' in the engine 88C would been seen on a regular
basis in normal driving. Heck, the coolant temp is above that for a
significant
portion of time!

b) you should seriously think about using synthetics! I have been doing
so for the past 5 years or so and I have no complaints!

Mike