removing underbody sealer

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: removing underbody sealer
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 15:12:29 +1100
I seem to recall a discussion of this list recently about the
difficulty of removing the tarry underbody sealer used on our
cars.

Well, I thought that I'd report that Wattyl Auto Paint Stripper
softened this stuff very quickly and within a few minutes I was
able to scrape 99% of the paint and tar out of a wheel well I
was testing it on. This stuff is pretty nasty so I used a respirator
and gloves. On a small area of forearm I hadn't covered properly
I could feel the stuff within 2 or 3 seconds of it touching the skin.

As an alternative, I used my pressure blaster (3500 psi) with a
sand blasting attachment on the opposite wheel well. It too removed
*all* the stuff with just 20 or 30 seconds of blasting from 2 or 3 feet
away.

Aside from getting wet and covered with sand, the latter was faster
and easier. It also left bright clean metal.

I can justify my blaster for the farm, but it is a bit too expensive to
buy just to do the car! However, I'm sure you could hire one from
a large industrial hire company.

Mike