Ten Miles Per Gallon ?!?!?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Ten Miles Per Gallon ?!?!?
From: Lee Daniels <DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:56:03 -0600
Help!

My '77 'B runs great, but there's a definite gas mileage problem!  It seems
to only get about 10 or 12 mpg in town.

I've done the John Twist desmogging procedure, and the mixture seems to be
fine, perhaps a little bit lean.  The original water choke has been
replaced with a manual kit.  I've been a little surprised that it usually
requires very little or no choke, but then it's never very cold here,
either.

The clutch is new, and the OD kicks in firmly when engaged.

The only other clue I have is a sometimes strong fuel smell in the boot.
Any ideas???

-Lee Daniels

   Lee M. Daniels         Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding
   daniels@tamu.edu                                 Texas A&M University
   http://acs.tamu.edu/~lmd1191