MGB Safety

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Safety
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:00:10 -0800
Jason Elwell wrote:

>Its been said that the bolt on rollbars offer little/no protection in case
>of  rollovers...  Most of them are bolted only to the sheetmettal, and not
>the frame, and will pull out under extreme pressure...
>As for the seatbelts... I dont know...

Well, the problem with bolting a roll bar to an MGB frame is that
it ain't got one.

Properly designed roll bars are worth having.  What's proper?  Refer to
the SCCA GCR or Solo regulations.  The roll bar should have backing plates
to spread the load out across the sheet metal structure, not just
washers.  There are lots of guys out there with bolt in roll bars/cages,
just gotta do it right.

As far as three-point belts...yes. You can't drive if you're not a
part of the car.  Of course around our place we prefer racing harnesses.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.TeamSanctuary.com/