Help! Jammed Wipers

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help! Jammed Wipers
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:35:07 -0800
Help, please?

      Yesterday morning, while atttempting to begin the day's commute, I noted
that there was some dew on the windscreen at 5:15 am.  Flipped the wiper switch
on the wipe away the dew and - BAM -- the blades stopped at the vertical
position and and remained there.  Weather report called for rain yesterday (and
it certainly did) so I took the Taurus.

    Went out this evening, removed the glovebox, removed the a/c heat exchanger
cover, removed the cover from the wiper gearbox and disconnected the crank.
Motor runs fine.  It was all that I could do to push the wiper arms back to
their rest position.  I can not move them by pulling on the end of the cable.
They seem to be jammed.  Must admit that I performed no sort of PM while I had
the dash out to replace the wiring harness.  Oh, how I hate the thought of
having to r/r the dash again!  Can someone please tell me what I should be
looking for?  Is there some simple thing that I've overlooked?  TIA.

Bud Krueger
52TD (can operate the wipers manually if necessary)
77MGB (humbling me)