re: Craftsman tools

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Craftsman tools
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 09:51:18 -0500
Your memory is good. Proto was owned by Ingersol-Rand until 1984. That's
when Stanley bought them. With regard to new Danaher Craftsman vs older
Stanley Craftsman quality, I will say that my opinion is naturally biased
towards my employer. But there appear to be some others that feel the same
way from what I hear on the list. I can't really say personally: all of my
Craftsman is pre-Danaher. But, in all fairness, Danaher makes good quality
tools also. They are a strong competitor. And, actually, through an odd
contract quirk, Stanley still makes tools for Sears Canada. Just not Sears
USA anymore. And, to clear up a technical point, Stanley made Craftsman
tools through a company based in Dallas called National Hand Tools that
Stanley bought in the 80's. National Hand Tools already had the Craftsman
business when Stanley bought them. So, really, I guess you could say that
NHT was building Craftsman. Stanley bought NHT to get a stronger presence in
the mechanics tools business just like they did Proto and MAC. Now, the
various plants of what used to be these independent companies are cranking
out tools under the various different brands. Danaher has taken a similar
strategy over the last two decades with their brands (Craftsman, Mat-Co,
etc). They go out and buy a company/brand and its associated plants and
assets. This consolidation in the tool business is no different than what
has occurred in other industries. Its necessary in order to stay competitive
in a global market. Enough about tools...back to lurking.
Regards, Greg Hutmacher