@#%&* Heater Box

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: @#%&* Heater Box
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:38:08 -0800
I just reinstalled my recently repainted Smiths heater box on my '64 B.  It
was a real test of patience.  What caused the problem was putting in the
solid rubber seal piece behind the outlets on the bottom.

When I took the heater out, the rubber piece was missing.  It appeared that
the heater had come out at some time for a core repair, and the seal was
never reinstalled, for reasons that are now obvious.  I probably wouldn't
have thought much about it if I hadn't seen the replacement part in
Victoria British and read about the somewhat cheesy alternative suggested
in Porter's book on restoration.  Having shelled out the money to VB, Iwas
determined to make it work!

Spent a long time struggling to get the assembly back in the hole--not an
easy thing with the engine, brake tubing and bonnet in place.  Also, don't
know who thought of the welded-on clip on the back which fouls the bonnet
opening edge until the heater is well down in the hole.  It wouldn't
go---the seal kept slipping out of position and I couldn't get enough
leverage to force everything into place.  There is a lot of friction in a
new chunk of rubber, too.  Didn't want to hit it too hard with a mallet, as
I had just repainted the box, and although it wasn't concours, didn't want
unsightly dents in the top.

Finally came up with some things to make it go better.  Glued the rubber on
to the box with 3M Fast Tack trim adhesive.  Levered on the firewall heater
slot a little with a 4x4 to open it up as much as I dared.  I didn't have
any liquid soap for lubricant, so had to slather wheel bearing grease on
the rubber and the edges of the opening to ease it in.  Finally got it.
Hope the core doesn't leak for a good long time...

Chris Attias
'64 MGB