RE: What material for brake lines?

To: VSchus8282@aol.com
Subject: RE: What material for brake lines?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 12:22:26 -0800
Vic:
        As always, disclaimers apply.  This is the best of my knowledge and
is intended to be helpful, not spark controversy. Nuff said.
        Copper brake lines have been used in the UK for years to replace the
original corroded steel lines.  They have not been "Department of Transport"
(DOT) approved for use in US vehicles.  I do not know the specifics.  The
copper lines are available from various vendors, but not Moss US.
        The same company that makes the copper lines recently introduced
nickel-copper lines intended for the US market.  These are stronger than
straight copper and meet the DOT spec. for failure resistance.
        I have seen both, tho' not installed either.  The nickel looks
closer to stock as it has a dull silver sheen (kinda like unpolished
stainless).  The copper looks a little odd in the engine bay as it is copper
(big surprise).  Both types have the same brass fittings.
        Either type will work and are designed to be much more corrosion
resistant than the original steel.  Barring stripped threads (brass is
softer, but is less susceptable to corrosion) either will outlive the
chassis of the car.  The nickel may be easier to work without kinking as it
is more resilient, and is less susceptable to crushing damage.  Care must be
taken to not overtighten the fittings when installing.  The sealing surfaces
are soft and do not need much torque to seal.

        For my money the nickel-copper lines are a nice product and I will
be installing them on my MGB and MGA projects.  I have seen recomendations
to form your own lines from bulk length.  Been there, done that.  I've still
got the left over bits lying around somewhere.  I think the time spent
making up a complete set of brake lines from bulk is better spent on areas
that are less safety related.  I have been fighting to keep preformed hard
lines on the shelf, particularily the rear axle ones that get crushed by tow
trucks.

Hope this is helpful.

Kelvin.