RE: "the MGB was an awful car"

To: "'Eric Erickson'" <eric@erickson.on.net>,
Subject: RE: "the MGB was an awful car"
From: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:31:36 -0600
It also appears that the author has never himself owned an MGB - nor does
he acknowledge the existence of any other type of MG. Midget, RV8 etc. He
spouts a prejudicial opinion and then, later, reinforces it with another:
"Every real MG from the dawn of time had its engine up front, pointing
north-south and driving the rear wheels." Like 'em or not; 1100's Metros,
etc. are real MG's if the guy who owns the marque sticks it on them.

The author's further ignorance is displayed later in the same paragraph:
"This mid-engined layout is seldom seen in anything less than Italian
supercars, Ferraris and the like." Seldom? No mention of X1/9's Fieros, or
MR2s, production for any one of which is higher than all "Italian
supercars" combined.

I don't doubt the MGF is a fine car. I liked the looks of the couple I've
seen, and on paper it seems to have the right stuff. Praise from the likes
of this writer doesn't do anything to make me want to run out get one,
though. (As if I could.)

Phil Vanner
'61 Midget.