Re: "the MGB was an awful car"

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "the MGB was an awful car"
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 09:48:34 -0500
Excellent point, Karl. That's excatly what I was thinking as I followed this
thread. I'm new to MG's although I've had three TR6's. I'm currently
restoring a 68 MGB/GT that I received already stripped and disassembled.
I've always loved the lines of the chrome bumper GT's and look forward to
mine taking to the road as a restored example. However, after monitoring
this list for a few months and reading about the problems that appear to be
common to MGB's, I must admit that its had a sobering affect on my orignal
enthusiasm. And mine hasn't even been on the road yet. Of course, I've had
non-LBC friends look at my TR6 and say "Gee, don't you get tired of all of
the electrical and mechanical problems with these cars?" when the truth is
that, if you just keep up with normal routine maintenence, my TR6's have
always been very reliable, trouble free cars. In fact, when our 96 Chevy
Suburban has had to go to the dealer for some unexpected problem (including
an alternator failure at only 15,000 miles), the TR6 has always fired right
up and run perfectly as backup transportation to work. I'm hoping my MGB/GT
will be the same way. I expect it has a great deal to do with whether or not
these cars have been and continue to be maintained properly or just ignored
and driven into the ground. I'm looking forward to getting my MG finished so
I can further amaze my non-LBC friends.
Regards, Greg Hutmacher