Re: trim strips

To: cfrench@cybertours.com (Carl French), mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: trim strips
From: dlg7@webtv.net (Donald Graham)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 23:40:56 -0500 (EST)
I find that I must replace quite frequently the trim strips as they
become dented from car doors etc.  To make the job easy and about a ten
minute job I have done the following.  The hardest part of this whole
process is removing the inner door panel to get to the stud nut behind
the window glass.  I removed the center square stud held with a nut from
the center of the door and replaced it with a round moulding clip held
on with a pop rivet.  The center moulding can then be snapped off and
replaced very easily.  In twenty years I have not had a problem with it
shifting.  However in recent years I have noticed that the mouldings are
slighly wider than the they were supplied previously.  I gently pinch
then with a pliers to slighly reduce their width at each end where they
snap on to the round clip. The front and rear mouldings are easily
replaced because the stud nuts are easily reached from under the front
fender wells and inside the trunk for the rear mouldings.   I use a
broad dry wall knife four inches wide to rest against the paint and use
a smaller pry blade to remove the mouldings.  This prevents any marring
of the paint finish.  Good luck.  Don '69 B