Re: Status report, VA SAFTFST

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Status report, VA SAFTFST
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 18:40:52 -0800
John Trindle had this to say:

[snip]

>My concerns are:
>
>1) What's the best way to get rid of the silicone fluid?  Just bleed
>through with LMA until the fluid changes color?

Someone had something to say about this a few weeks ago. There was a
suggestion of flushing with alcohol, which was then roundly disputed.
Assuming the master cylinder is OK, I would say remove the slave cylinder
and pump the m/c out into a jar, to make sure you've got all the old
fluid. Then "bench bleed" the master cylinder in the car, install the new
slave cylinder and hose, and bleed that. But the real question is, where
did all the fluid go in the first place? see below

>2) Is the pump-four-times-and-it-works-once condition a symptom of air or
>something more serious?

I've had this problem after a "quick & dirty" one-man bleed, but it also
fits with the m/c starting to fail. You didn't mention any work on the
m/c, so I think you need to confirm its integrity or all the bleeding in
the world won't help.

>3) I still have the slave cylinder and hose replacements, which I could
>put on before bleeding.  Does it sound like I need to?  The slave has new
>seals, and no drips on the ground.  However, I didn't check the parking
>spot at the restaurant.

Like I said, where did the fluid go? Either the master, the slave, the
hose, or a line connection allowed the old fluid to get away, over time
or all at once.

>I'd really like to get this on the road as a daily driver.  It really
>likes 65 mph a *lot* more than the Spitfire.

In that case, may as well plan on rebuilding/replacing the m/c. Then
you'll be all new and ready to go for thousands of miles.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149