Re: Brake fluid alternative

To: swimmer@seark.net
Subject: Re: Brake fluid alternative
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 11:52:06 EDT
Phil,
  That's an interesting question.  I don't have any answer, but encourage
you not to experiment until there are answers to it.
  When the MG T series cars were arriving in the USA, the US fluid was
not compatible with the rubber pieces in the MGs. This had to do with the
UK using only natural rubber pieces while we in the US used synthetic
rubber. The book's specification was important.
  The US Dept of Transportation established at some point that all fluids
sold in the US had to be compatible with both natural and synthetic
rubbers, the DOT 3, and later 4, fluid formulas were set up, and one
could then use any US fluid in any car in the US.  There's a lot of
debate about this, still, but these are the facts. Using any DOT fluid
will not destroy the rubber in any MG.
  Silicone fluid was developed for military aircraft.  For cars where
spillage of fluid is likely, and those that aren't used much, it has
advantages. I use it in my TD, and have for about 25 years. My '72 MGB GT
is still filled with DOT 3. If I ever get around to rebuilding the entire
system, I'll switch it to silicone too.  Is there an immense difference
in our cars? No. It's like the Ford vs Chevvie pickup argument. If one
changes the fluid every couple of years, as we now know we should do
regardless of the fluid used, either will work just fine for normal
motoring.
  But, the big question is whether the Red Hydraulic Fluid is compatible
with the componants for which the DOT standards were created. Perhaps the
RHF container would bear the DOT information, or it could be found in
product information literature. One would want to know what the
advantages of RHF over the DOT fluids before making any changes, as there
are  N bazillion cars out there all running DOT fluids and we don't often
hear of brake fluid problems.
Bob