Aaaarrrghhh!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Aaaarrrghhh!
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 11:03:48 EDT
I have spent the weekend under and around my MGA (no, Bill, I haven't had
time to hunt the Jag parts yet) and have experienced the usual frustrating
finds.

Spent some time removing the brand new (when the car was put away in dry
storage) crappy Moss chrome that was rusted, and trying to decide whether to
rechrome it or hunt down better.
Why can't they make brass grille shells, anyway - it can't be the cost of the
brass, and it would prevent the shoddy chrome job from pealing as easily.
Found a stone chip in one driving light. Fortunately the tri-wire headlamps
are still OK.

Then, one rear disc covered in oil. Pull the rear calipers, both of them,
only to find that I was out of rebuild kits. I'll probably rebuild them and
find that it is a rear hub seal instead (too hard to tell with old dried oil
whether it is brake fluid or diff oil leaking, and the calipers needed it
anyway).

Worked on the engine for awhile (had to stand up to get the blood flowing
again) and found 2 frost plugs missing, fortunately the ones you can get at
without too much trouble. Replaced them, changed the oil and filter before
cranking it, and cranked to get pressure - so far so good.

Then I drained the fuel tank and added new gas, changed the filter, and
turned on the ignition. The pump still works (probably because it is a Holley
that I replaced on the last trip to Tahoe lying in the road at dawn near
Alturas California wondering how many rattlesnakes I might be sharing the
warm asphalt with. Unfortunately, the seals on the carbs have grown bored
with sitting around and dribble gas on the exhaust - not a prescription for
longevity of car or driver.  Used H4s, being a traditionalist - knew I should
have thrown a B manifold and HS4 carbs on. Just something else to rebuild.

Should probably rebuild the front callipers too, and the master cylinder
while I'm at it.

Would you guys be offended if I showed up at Tahoe in a Jensen? Only 3 months
to go, and at least it runs, and I have a  Jensen meet in Santa Fe the next
month, so it would be good practice .......

Bill Spohn