Re: Requirement to Post to List

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Requirement to Post to List
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 03:55:13 +0509
I regard this list as I would a perpetual club meeting.

New members join and haven't read the minutes of all past meetings nor
have they read all past newsletters, so they tend to ask the same
questions that we asked when we first joined.  Until we can implant a
chip in their brains with the total combined wisdom (expressed through
the list or otherwise) of all current and past members, then we are
bound to see discussions repeated.

Many times broader experience has found new, different and sometimes
better ways of doing things than that described in some manuals and
books.  These books contain the 'opinions' - however well informed - of
the author, so who is to say that listmembers don't have 'better'
opinions (or at least clarifications of what is described in the
manuals).

As for OFF TOPIC posts... have you never heard a good off topic joke or
story at a club meeting?  Many of us have lives away from our cars and
use/enjoy our cars in different ways.  The colour that these stories
bring to the list, and to the hobby, stop it from being a dry,
classroom-type experience. Besides, who else wants to hear about how
wonderful your topdown drive was today?  Frequently even my dog gets up
and walks away when I start, but there is always.... THE LIST :-)

Eric
'68MGB MkII