Re: Original Equipment Radio Source, Thanks etc - LONG

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Original Equipment Radio Source, Thanks etc - LONG
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 01:30:24 +1000
Hi all,

Firstly I'd like to say without the advice from people of this list I would
have given up ages ago on servicing my own cars. Since joining this list I
have tackled: Rebuilding & Tuning SU's, Changing Head Gasket, Decoking head,
Ignition system & Timing and I am on the way to a full rebuild of my MGB
motor (which spun a bearing) to race stds. This list combined with other
resources on the Web has taught me so much about my cars it's unbelievable.
I never thought I'd be able to do work on my cars myself, the list changed
all that. I have also learnt quite a lot of automotive theory from people on
the list, and from a combination of sites and yes reference books too. I'm a
firm believer that if you're interested enough in a subject you can learn
how to do it. The list is the best place I've found to start that learning
process, people are very tolerant here, especially if you approach it in a
friendly manner. Clubs are good, but you wait months for an event. You can
ask a question to the list or a lister immediately, no matter how stupid it
may sound to you and you will get an answer 99 times out of 100. Someone on
this list said, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. How true!
:)

BTW I own almost every single manual written for the MGB (all *covered* in
grease!) and at first, as a total amateur, the language, acronyms used etc
was usually over my head. After a while through the help of the list and
when I managed to build up enough basic knowledge, the manuals become
invaluable - but they won't ever supplant someone with great experience. I
would say if you buy an MGB, buy a workshop manual - Bentleys if you can
afford it, simply for the great reference work it is. Haynes is great too,
more straightforward than the Bentleys, clearer descriptions, more pictures
etc and I guess a lot cheaper in the USA too.

Thanks list for all the help. :)

FYI - I have found an ad in the MG Car Club of NSW magazine that advertises
radios:

--
CAR RADIOS FOR CLASSIC CARS
HMV & RADIOMOBILE CAR RADIOS

The factory recommend accessory for English Cars, suit 1946 to 1970. For TC
to MGB in manual or pushbutton tuning. Available in concours or neat and
tidy condition, depending on model and availability.

NEW MGA Speaker mounting boxes, as original - now available.

Phone: +61 2 9583 2056
Mobile: +61 411 821 116
Fax: +61 2 9583 2076

--

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Neil Cotty - Sydney, Australia
1970 MG B GT        / 1961 MG A 1600 Mk1 / 1956 AH 100 BN2