Re:"Dropping" Engine

To: Tim Nagy <nagy@duq.edu>
Subject: Re:"Dropping" Engine
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:36:47 -0600
I don't see how you can "drop" the engine.  But you can separate the
engine and pull the engine up and out. I did it once and it was much
easier than pulling both engine and gearbox out.

Putting it back in is the problem - you have to have them lined up
perfect so the gearbox shaft slides into the rear of the crankshaft
(pilot bushing). Tough but doable. But if you use some long 5/16" bolts
between the engine and bell housing to line it up, that too may simplify
it.

David

71 BGT

67 BGT

<excerpt>I was looking at the B, '72 this weekend and thought, I wonder
if I can

"drop" the engine.

The front cross member is out, the steering column is out, the front

brake lines are out, the front bumper is off, and the front valance is

off.

With this in mind, if I remove the alternator, intake and exhaust,
maybe

remove the oil filter housing, does the group think I could pull the

engine/tranny out from underneath?

Maybe pull the head for more clearance under the car.  It is pretty
high

on jack stands right now.

If I tried to use a lift, I wouldn't have the front clearance in my

garage since I can't roll it back (no front suspension) as I lift the

engine/tranny.

I could use a mover's dolly (flat truck) and roll it out, or separate

the engine from the tranny.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim