Re: Filling a transmission...what kind of container? - a"Neil"reply!!

To: REwald9535@aol.com
Subject: Re: Filling a transmission...what kind of container? - a"Neil"reply!!
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 00:58:42 -0400
REwald9535@aol.com wrote:
> You will also notice that I put my response ABOVE his
> post not below as some people do.

  This is only usable when you respond to the entire
post in one blast. It doesn't work well for responding
to multi-topic'ed messages such as this one. For instance
I would rather reply to the "where to quote" section
seperately than the browser threading issue, they aren't
related.

> This means that you only had to read the
> original question if you..

  Most mail readers show quoted text in a different
colour or text style. It becomes second nature to
skip over them.

  Frankly, I prefer to see the original text first,
because I skim it to bring back the memory of what
the thread was about, and then I see the new text
that goes on the thread.

> b) your browser does like
> mine and sometimes does not give messages in the order sent.  For example:
> Tonight I got a response about the clutch banjo fitting 21 e-mails BEFORE the
> question.

  If you use sorting and threading, it should sort the replies
beneath the originals. It uses the "references" field in the
headers, you will notice that this message references the message-id
of your mail.

  The mail client should see this and put one underneath
the other.

  That doesn't really help you if yours chooses not
to, i suppose, but that's how it should work anyways.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca