Halogen Headlights

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Halogen Headlights
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 18:58:37 -0400
I have run Sylvania Halogen headlight bulbs in both my MG's for years,
almost 10 on the roadster, never had a problem with the light switch or
any other electrical component, dimmer, high beam, etc. These are a
sealed beam type, without the replacable bulbs. While they are not as
bright as the European version, they are a real improvement, cost about
$10.00 US at the discount part stores. My cars are rubber bumper, '77-80
dash & switches. I cannot testify regards the older cars switches, or
using the units with replaceable bulbs.

As far as other lights being Halogen, I would be very careful. Halogen
turn signal/rear bulbs are offered by several sources to the Street Rod
fraternity, with the warning in the adds, that they should be only used
with glass lenses, as the heat might melt a plastic lense. There is more
air space in a MG tail light than, say, a '40 Ford, so it might be O.K.,
but don't say you weren't warned.

Jim Stuart