Re: Catalytic Converter Color and Temp

To: "Eugene Balinski" <eugeneb@nni.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Catalytic Converter Color and Temp
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:24:44 -0500
Gene,
   The catalytic converter runs hot because the mixture is rich not lean
 just the opposite of what you think of in cylinder temps and such..).  The
reason is the converter is there to burn the excess hydrocarbons left over
after combustion ( rich), which end up burning in the converter, hence less
emissions.  The richer you are running the more it's got to burn so the
hotter it gets.
Harlan.