Re: Bolts vs Studs

To: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Subject: Re: Bolts vs Studs
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 12:01:43 -0700
Hi Neil et al,

The only studs I replace with bolts on a B engine (dual carb) are the two studs
on either end of the exhaust manifold.  These are the only two exhaust/intake
studs that go through holes in the manifold.  When these are bolts instead of
studs, when removed, the head can be lifted straight up without removing the
exhaust manifold.

I wouldn't replace the head studs with bolts.  There's no reason to.  Like
Lawrie and Ed, I've never had a problem with weeping head gaskets and I've never
used the wire trick or even countersunk the head stud holes in the block.  If
the head studs never get wet, they won't rust to the head or block.  For the
studs that do have a tendency to rust, I spray them with penetrating oil at
least a day before I'll be removing them.

Good luck with your engine!  I can't wait to hear how all of your modifications
work out. :-)

Denise Thorpe