Re: Shifter

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shifter
From: phil.coburn@convergys.com
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 09:18:37 -0400

>>My girlie bought me a walnut shift knob for my birthday, and I want to
>>install the darn thing.  Now the new one looks as if it simply screws
>>on, but the old one will not simply screw off (ha).  Is there any trick
>>to this?  I do not remember anything in Haynes, but will look again.
>>
>There is a slim lock nut immediately below the base of the knob. With a
>wrench, turn it clockwise so it moves down the shaft and releases
>pressure on the knob. Then with your hand (hopefully) spin the knob
>counterclockwise to remove it. It took visegrips to remove my old one,
>but I don't think that is typical. Someone had just run it too far down
>the shaft.

Sorry if this is a little late, but I get the digest so I'm always behind!

The shifter knobs on later models (from '77 on) do not screw off because
they are keyed to the shifter.  After loosening the bottom lock nut as
previously described, pop the cap off the shift knob.  Inside is a small
round nut with 2 indents on the top.  I usually use 2 screwdrivers to spin
the nut around, but you may have better luck with a pair of long needle
nosed pliers.  Once the inside nut is removed, the knob lifts off.

- Phil
'77B