Re: Over consumption of fuel

To: "Jones, Mark" <MJones@ngl.ca>, "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Over consumption of fuel
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:09:56 -0400
>My car is going through gas like it was going out of style.  Before I put it
>away last fall for the winter I was getting over 300 miles on a tank.  I
>filled the car up yesterday and this morning it is reading half full and I
>have driven about 60 miles.  What is going on?  The tank is not leaking, nor
>are the float bowls overflowing.  My car runs on the lean side, not the rich
>side.  I have not checked the condition of the sparkplugs yet, nor my points
>gap, but my points are in good shape and the engine seems to have good
>power.  Aside from plugs and points what else would account for such high
>fuel consumption?  I'll check under the car at noon for a puddle of fuel,
>but at home in the morning I don't smell fuel.  Could the coil not be
>providing enough voltage to get a decent spark?
>
>Awaiting the list's wisdom,
>
>Mark Jones
>73 MGB GT
Are you sure it is using that much fuel? When my alternator died as the
battery ran down the fuel gauge falls towrds empty. As Temp gauge begins
to show a cooler running car. It appeared that I was guzzling fuel like a
Hummer! Check this out as well as any other fuel problems.

Larry

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up