HS4 Jet bearing questions and minor grumblings

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: HS4 Jet bearing questions and minor grumblings
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:47:17 -0400 (EDT)
Hi all,

Am in the process of reassembling my HS4's. It appears that whoever had
these apart last used the wrong sized washers on the throttle shafts, and
so when the throttle levers didn't line up, bent the tabs on the throttle
levers to fit. Maybe they should look bent? I didn't think so. I think I
can bend these back into place, that's not the question, that's the
grumbling.

On one of the jet bearings, when I try to adjust the jet adjusting nut, it
just spins the whole jet bearing around in circles inside the carb body.
The jet locking nut is tight, it's just a matter of the jet adjusting nut
being the tightest thing in the assembly, in that I haven't been able to
budge it from the threads on the jet bearing. This is also just a grumble,
not the question yet...

I could fuss with it and try to free it without damaging the jet bearing,
but for the price, I think I'll just replace it. Or replace both of them,
as the other one works, but I'm sure a new one will ease adjustment, and
look nicer too.

OK, questions:

Any cautions or special instructions on fitting the new ones?

Also, as an aside, does anyone have a complete used throttle linkage,
everything between the throttle levers, that doesn't look too ratty, that
they would like to part with? E-mail direct.

I'm almost wishing I'd just bought new HS4's, or a rebuilt set from Lawrie,
as I've so much else to do with this project, but sticking with it for
now...I'm sure I'll at least understand how they work much better by the
time I'm done.

Nevin