Automotive Miscegenation

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Automotive Miscegenation
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 15:54:55 EDT
<<I've had a recent idea to build my own car, and I was planning to
put an American V8 (not sure which) on an MGA chassis, retaining the MG
suspension, steering, and interior, and then building my own Morgan-style
bodywork.  I remember hearing about a kit to swap a Chevy 283 V8 into an
MGA.  Does anyone have info on this kit??
Also, I was wondering if it is possible to put 1975-80 MGB brakes into
the MGA.  Help anyone?  Don't worry, I don't plan on using my own car for
this.  I'd try to find one that has a rusted out body, etc. >>

I'd advise that you stop eating large pizzas before bed - they obviously give
you nightmares!

If you really must butcher a poor unsuspecting MGA (why not an MGB - there
are tons of them around and no one will miss one!),  the V8 route is
difficult. The supports from the firewall to just behind the front suspension
are important structural members that are hard to get exhaust around,
although I have seen it done (carefully) with a small block Chev. I have also
seen these cut out, and wouldn't want to be in the car when it breaks in
half!  I saw a TR3 with a Chev in it where the tops of the wheels just kept
getting closer and closer together....

Consider a 60 degree V6 instead. I am familiar with the Pontiac - Chev 2.8,
3.1, 3.4 engine as I have one in my Fiero, and it fits quite easily. The
block is the same length as the A is!  Stock horsepower on the later ones is
160, and you can go much higher (I have about 300, and the 3.4 turboed can
put out around 350, with even more potential for the DOHC version, though I
don't know if that one fits an A easily).

The B front end is easy to graft on, and Camaro discs are also possible.
Why not do it to a Healey - at least there is a long tradition there, and no
shortage of space in the engine bay!

Bill S.