Re: Valve adjuster lock washers.

To: "Joe Short" <buster_balz@operamail.com>,
Subject: Re: Valve adjuster lock washers.
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 07:33:37 -0700
Joe........

I presume you mean under the valve clearance adjustment lock nuts, not valve
clearance adjustment bolts? Knowing the difference between a bolt and a nut
is one of the first steps towards the success of any mechanical
endeavor.........:-)

But why would you want to use a lock washer anyway? The factory which
designed the engine (you don't say if it's a BMC A-series or B-series) built
literally hundreds of thousands of them over several decades and never felt
that lock washers were necessary in that location. I've worked on these cars
professionally for nearly 25 years and I've not yet encountered a loose
valve adjustment lock nut. (I've encountered a few that were stripped
because they had been over-tightened, but that's another story.)

If you want to make a constructive improvement to the automotive world, see
if you can figure out a way to get people to check their tire pressures
regularly, and use their turn signals as frequently as they use their cell
phones while driving............................

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center