Re: Sportscar / motorsports

To: larryhoy@cwix.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sportscar / motorsports
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 12:53:59 EDT
In a message dated 5/10/99 12:08:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
larryhoy@cwix.com writes:

<< Which is proper;

 sportscar, sports car, sportcar, or sport car?

 motorsports, motor sports?

 An inquiring mind wants to know.  >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I consulted the ultimate authority, the spell checker in Microsoft Word.

Sportscar is actually spelled "Sportswear" to be correct.  Sportcar is
supposed to be "Sportier." (Although it didn't say than what!  I can only
presume it meant than a Triumph.)  Motorsports has no suggestion.  If you
make the terms two words, they are all correct, by MS Word.

I also checked the Internet.  I did two web searches on HotBot.  (With a
capital letter in the middle...see below.)  The word sportscar had 4,910
hits, but the exact term "sports car" had 38,010 hits.

My personal feeling is that sportscar and motorsports are correct.  As much
as making sports wear into sportswear, sports car should become sportscar.
These are terms used by enthusiasts and are now acceptible.

The SCCA magazine is SportsCar, with that capital letter in the midDle.  (Who
started that?!?)

As long as you are having fun and keeping a sportscar alive, use whatever
term you like.  We all know what you mean.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport