Re: Midget front bushings

To: "Richard D Arnold" <richard.arnold@juno.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Midget front bushings
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@maxinter.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 08:51:11 -0400
easiest method I know....
remove only two of the bolts that hold in lower spring
support plate on the lower a-arm.
replace them with two 4-6" fully threaded long bolts
run the nuts all the way up
remove the other two bolts
evenly..alternating... remove the two nuts on the long bolts
(obviously you want the vehicle jacked up and blocked appropriately
with the suspension at full extension)
going back on is alittle rougher this way as threading the long bolts will
take some effort.
you can use your jack (now that the car is on blocks) to help compress
the spring a little at a time as you thread up the long bolts
once up... install the remaining two stock bolts.. rmove the long ones
and install the last two.

... be careful but this technique does work well.
...as one last safety precaution,, you can tie rope around the coils tightly
(multiple layers) this will lessen the extension of the spring
limiting the overall distance you must work with threading/unthreading
the long bolts. use grade 5 or 8 bolts.

$.02 worth    YMMV   ...it's your choice... no obligations... etc etc etc.

Paul Tegler
1973 BGT
email: wizardz@toad.net