Unsolicited offer (real life humor)

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Unsolicited offer (real life humor)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 12:41:14 -0700
Thought I might relate an amusing incident that occurred when returning
from the Monterey British car meet a few weeks back...

We had the top down in my MGB despite the threatening weather, and were
stuck in slow traffic on 101 entering San Jose, when someone overtaking
us in the right lane shouted something. I couldn't believe what I thought
I heard, so I yelled (intelligently), "What?". "How much do you want for
it?" he shouted. He was somewhat disconcerted to observe that this
inquiry sent Gary and me into convulsions. All I could manage to do was
shake my head and sputter, "You don't want it. Too rusty!", which seemed
to satisfy him. He grinned and gave us a thumbs-up, and pulled away. The
curious thing is, he was driving one of those early-70s "boattail" Buick
Rivieras, so his taste was open to question. Maybe it was the wire wheels.

I'm sure many of you (presumably with nicer cars) have met with these
impromptu offers, but if you saw my B from the rear, with the mismatched,
ill-fitting boot lid, and the paint literally peeling from the wings,
revealing deep, rusty cracks in the body filler, you'd laugh, too, at the
idea of someone actually wanting to buy it. Adding zest to the situation
was the idea of telling them how much I had in it ("Oh, yeah, I'd need at
least $5000 for it"...NOT!). It just goes to show that the charm of the
traditional roadster is darn nigh irresistable.

Happy motoring!

BTW the front is crunched, too.

--

Max Heim