Oil pouring out from oil filter head

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil pouring out from oil filter head
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 17:13:52 -0400
John -

The filter head is actually an adapter, converting the B engine from the
cartridge type filters of the '60s to the modern throw-away filters we use.
The adapter attaches to the block with one BFB from underneath.  I'm
wondering if the adapter has come loose.  It's easy enough to check/tighten
it with (I can't remember) a 5/8" or maybe an 11/16" socket.  You can feel
the bolt under the head.

Good luck,

Allen

From: JSGriset@aol.com

>Please help.  I have a '77 B and recently did an oil change and replaced the
>filter.  Ever since, when the engine is turned on, oil pours out of the oil
>filter head from under the filter.  When the engine is off, there is no leak
>at all.  I replaced the filter again twice to see if the filter itself or the
>way I screwed it on was the problem but it doesn't seem to be.  I have owned
>the car for 17 years and have always done the oil changes on it every 3,000
>miles.  Is there a way of troubleshooting this problem?  Any help is greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Thank you,
>
>John
>Dallas, TX