Re: New MGB

To: don <brgmgb@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: New MGB
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 20:49:36 -0400
Hi all,

After all these years, I finally found the trick to getting those retaining
rings in.  There's a small chamfer (sloping edge) at the outside edge of the
holes for the pistons.  If I lightly sand (600 grit or finer) these chamfered
edges to smooth the corners, the retaining rings slide right in... well...
compared to how they used to go in.  I use a large pair of water pump pliers,
with the jaws adjusted to be parallel, to gently press the rings in on
alternating sides of the hole.

Before I discovered the sanding trick, I'd gently pry the old rings out with a
large, flat-bladed screwdriver.  The I could straighten out the screwdriver
divots, clean them up, and re-use them.  With eight rings at my disposal, I
could usually end up with four fairly flat ones holding the seals in.  Usually.
:-}

Denise Thorpe