Oil leaks

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil leaks
From: Jlm1901@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 20:07:22 EDT
Okay, I've had enough LBC's to know they all leak oil, but this leak is a big
one. I thought it was the rear main oil seal. I removed the engine, separated
same from transmission, removed oil soaked clutch and disintegrated release
bearing, and flywheel. I removed the rear main oil seal, and drove in a new
one. I did not remove the rear engine plate to do this. I then replaced the
above mentioned damaged items with new, and re-installed engine & trans. to
its proper place below bonnet ( fan to front of car, right?). Drove this car
all of 3 miles (ran great) and discovered  that the leak was euther still
there, or had returned. I see no real signs of an oil leak from the front
trans seal, but lots of real clean oil on my drive. I just can't believe that
the oil seal would leak that fast that soon. Is it not possible to change the
seal without rear engine plate removal?
Feedback please.
Thanks,
Jerry