Re: Vapor Lock/clothespins

To: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: Vapor Lock/clothespins
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 09:23:22 -0500

Charley & Peggy Robinson wrote:

>   This'n will date me.  In the '50s and '60s, it was not too uncommon to
> see engines with a pair of clothespins spaced a few inches apart on the
> fuel line between the pump and the carb.  I spoke to several guys who
> had placed them there to cure vapor locking.  They swore that they did
> the job!  Me, I don't know...(G), never tried them myself.
>
>   Charley  (OF) Robinson
>   '69 B which is only half my age.

--Thanks, Charley!!  I was beginning to think I had dreamed the clothes pin
deal instead of using them.  I'm certainly in OF territory myself so those
types of things  can happen.  It seems to me, however, that the vapor lock
occurred on cars w/ mechanical fuel pumps and THE FIX was one of the new
high falutin' electric fuel pumps.  Is my memory going south again?
    I think most of the vapor lock problem w/ old Detroit Iron was the
mechanical pump's location-on the engine and usually under the headers.
Lots of residual heat there.  Strange-it was my understanding that pumps did
just that -pump- lots better than they suck.  Oh well, I can't remember what
else I was going to say.....

Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO