'58 MGA Worth - Need Help!

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: '58 MGA Worth - Need Help!
From: Kevin Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 21:57:04 -0500
I just got back from looking at fairly rough '58 MGA convertible and
wondered if someone could give me and idea of what it might be worth.
The car has been stored inside for many years.  The car is complete. One
front fender is dinged up a little, but the other panels look pretty
good and there is a good used fender (to replace the dinged up one) as
well as an extra hood, doors and trunk, all in good condition.  There is
some surface rust, where the previous owner had sanded some paint off
and left it.  The head is off the engine (but with the car) so the
engine is probably locked up, but all the parts are there.  There is
also an extra block and head included.  The interior is shot, but all
the instruments are there and the glass is good.  The bumpers and grill
need replacing.  The car has steel wheels as well as a spare wire wheel
rear axle assembly.

I really don't know what this might be worth.  If it were an early 'B I
would say maybe $400 or $500, but given the higher cost for the 'As, I
would guess that with the extra body panels the car would be worth $1000
or so.  I really don't want to pay over what it might be worth in parts
in case it turns out later to be more than what I want to deal with.
Thanks for your help.

Also, in case both engines are shot -- can a 'B engine be installed in
an 'A?  Would it have to be a three main bearing engine.

Kevin Brown   '64 MGB  '71 MGB
Odessa, MO