Tappets

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tappets
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 17:34:27 EDT
<<This was actually, lucky, because when I inspected the tappets, I found
some pitting, so I replaced all of them.>>

Simon - I regret to tell you that generally once a set of lifters has worn,
the cam lobes have also worn, and even if they are still close to spec,
fitting new lifters without regrinding the cam often seems to accelerate the
wear.
Bottom line - you may well have shortened camshaft life. This may not matter
to you if you don't put many miles on the car.
You can check if you are interested, by putting a dial indicator on the top
of a valve spring keeper, adjusting the valve lash to as close to zero as you
can get it, and then measure as you crank the engine around (you can also
leave the setting alone and subtract or just zero the gauge just as the valve
starts to move).

Bill