Re: Coil.... To Ballast or Not To Ballast....

To: "Michael Graziano" <mgrazian@ltcm.com>,
Subject: Re: Coil.... To Ballast or Not To Ballast....
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 19:04:31 +0100
You can only say for sure if you have a ballast in circuit or not by
measuring the voltage across the coil with the ignition on and the points
closed.  If you see about 12v you have a non-ballasted system, if you see
about 6v you have a ballasted system.  BTW, a coil that requires a ballast
will overheat and burn points if it is used without a ballast.  A 12v coil
used with a ballast will not burn out but you will get weak sparking.

FYI, the standard 12v coil has a resistance of about 3.2 ohms and a 6v coil
about 1.5 ohms.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/