RE: Radiators 77 B

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Radiators 77 B
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 16:58:23 -0700
> Im no mechanic, but I think that the radiator needs something
> done to it. The
> DPO by-passed the thermostat switch, so I know that will have to
> be re-done.
> However I am not sure what the difference is between a re-core, a
> boil-out and a
> rod-out of the radiator. What are the benefits of each?

Um, I think you'll find that your best bet is either a new radiator or a
rod-out.

1) Re-core: Take the top and bottom pieces and any other structural parts of
the radiator apart.  Throw away the bit in the middle with all the tiny fins
and then fit a new bit in the middle.  Advantage: (a)if you have an odd
radiator that you can get anymore then this will make it as new (b) you can
have more, smaller, rows installed to make the cooling more efficient

2) Boil-out: Not sure.  Expect it's just filling the radiator with chemicals
or dropping into a vat to clean out the stuff that collects inside it

3) Rodding: Remove the top of the radiator (it's just soldered together).
Force water into the bottom of the radiator, then insert a thin rod into the
tubes that run through the core to clear them of any accumulated debris.
Watch that clean water runs freely through the whole core.

I had my radiator repaired, and as part of the process they clean and rod
the inside, reassemble then pressure test it.  Cost about $60, which was
cheap compared to a new radiator.  I also had my heater core done for
another $60, which meant it started working again and also any sludge in
there didn't find its way into my nice clean radiator.

Hope this helps,

Andy
'69B