Would I be in over my head?

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Would I be in over my head?
From: Matt Pringle <pringlmm@mcmaster.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:32:36 -0400
Hi there,

I'm still looking for my very first LBC and I'm in a bit of a jam.

I've got some cash stashed away for just such a purchase and was
thinking of getting a 68-72 MGB that ran, had a good body and that would
leave me enough to replace the odd part as the need arose.

I REALLY, REALLY like the MGA though but they are generally over my
price range.  However, I found an A that is advertised as needing a
complete restoration for $4000 CDN ($2800 US).  My SO (who also loves
the A) says that she'd be willing to have us pay for the car out of the
joint account if I'd be willing to pay for the restoration (but only for
an A).  I'd have about 6 or 7K CDN for that.  I've done a lot of
mechanical work on japanese cars, I'm a fair welder and I'm electrically
quite competent.

I'm afraid of going to the dealer before I've thought this out in fear
that I might make a rash decision so I don't know much about the car.

Any comments?  Warnings, etc.  I know that I likely won't recoup my
investment if I sold the car after restoration but I really want it more
as a project and then something to drive and show-off when I'm done.

Thanks

Matt