Re: Painting engine bay bits

To: mcjsr@talstar.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Painting engine bay bits
From: P86turismo@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 02:30:02 EDT
In a message dated 6/10/99 11:07:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mcjsr@talstar.com writes:

<< Hey MG gurus, and DIYers like me...

 I am stripping out parts from the engine bay bit by bit, what type of paint
 should I use to paint the stuff I have de-rusted, ie..the heater box, the
 air intake & filter housings....should this paint have a high heat rating,
 and if so...what brands have you found to be the best??

My personal favorite paint for engine bay bits is the rust-oleum Gas Grille
Black.  It withstands heat high enough to use on the manifolds, which I've
done, and it also looks pretty smart.  It's probably best described as a
semi-gloss paint, and it looks 'correct' on anything I've ever used it
for...Of course, it probably wouldn't handle concourse judges, but...

I've had pretty bad luck with a valve cover that I painted using regular
rust-oleum.  It looked sharp to begin with, but the splatters of oil, intense
heat, and fumes have taken the gloss off of the paint and caused it to chip
in certain areas.  When i get a round tuit, I'll give it a shot of the gas
grille stuff.

This paint comes in spray cans and in a brushable form.  If you've got a good
brush and a steady hand, the paint will cover up nicely.  Very easy to use.
One strange aside, when I painted my exhaust manifolds, the paint 'cured' to
the metal, which caused an onion-like smell when the car warmed up.  This
only lasted a few days, but the looks on the faces of pedestrians when they
crossed near my car was unbelieveable.

It could have smelled worse.

No financial interest in the product, but I'm satisfied...

Mike Lishego
1974 MGB (Loving summer)
1986 Plymouth Turismo Turbo (Hating garage duty)